Monday, December 8, 2008

Monday, Monday

So it's the second-to-last Monday of the semester, and I'll be honest with you: I don't feel like writing a blog post. I've got two quizzes, a paper, and four finals still to go, and I am burnt out. Still, it seems unfair to you, my devoted audience (read: my family and college friends), to skip out entirely.

So here are two "fun" (I use the term loosely) facts from my Hebrew studies. First, the word "Armageddon" comes from the Hebrew "Har Megiddo," meaning "Mountain of Megiddo". Second, and in keeping with the season of Christmas, the word "Ebenezer" comes from the Hebrew phrase "even haezer." (In Hebrew, "v" and "b" are the same letter.) "Even" means rock or stone, and "ezer" means hope. The phrase thus translates as "the rock of hope," or more loosely, "the foundation of hope".

And now you know...

No comments: