Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Finals Week

Have I mentioned it's the end of the semester? Perhaps that I'm swamped, with one final down and three still to go, and that I was up very late last night (or, truth be told, early this morning) finishing my last paper of the semester? Does that sound familiar to anyone? Well, I didn't get around to updating the blog yesterday, and while I dearly wish I had a real post to put up today to make up for it, I don't. So instead, I commend to you the wise words of 1 Kings 19, which we translated for our Hebrew final (this is my translation, and therefore a bit rough around the edges):

9 [Elijah] came there, to the cave, and he stayed the night there. And behold! the word of the LORD said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?” 10 And he said, “I am surely zealous for the LORD, God of Hosts, because the sons of Israel have forsaken your covenant; they have destroyed your altar; they have slain your prophets with a sword. I remain, I alone, and they seek to take my life.” 11 And he said, “Go out and stand at the mountain before the LORD,” and behold! the LORD is passing by, and a great and strong wind is tearing away mountains and breaking rocks before the LORD. The LORD is not in the wind; and after the wind, an earthquake, and the LORD is not in the earthquake. 12 And after the earthquake, a fire, and the LORD is not in the fire; and after the fire, a roar of sheer silence. 13 As Elijah heard, he wrapped his face with his mantle and went out; and he stood at the opening of the cave. And behold! a voice said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?” 14 And he said, “I am surely zealous for the LORD, God of Hosts, because the sons of Israel have forsaken your covenant; they have destroyed your altar; they have slain your prophets with a sword. I remain, I alone, and they seek to take my life.” 15 And the LORD said to him, “Go, return to your journey in the wilderness of Damascus. You will come in, and anoint Hazael as king over Aram. . . 18 I will leave seven thousand in Israel, all the knees that have not bowed down to Baal, and every mouth that has not kissed him.”

No comments: