Friday, August 1, 2008

Prayer

This time around, I have a very cliche statement to make, but one which I'm appreciating the truth of right now. God answers prayer. Really.

For people with an active prayer life, I'm sure this is quite obvious. For people who don't have an active prayer life, for whatever reason, it's a hard pill to swallow. I'm sorry to say that I more often fall into the second category than the first. I tend to forget to pray, forget how important it is to keep God in my life. And then I forget how powerful prayer can be. After a while, I start to wonder why everything is so difficult and why I feel like I can't do anything on my own. Fortunately, that's when I remember the answer: I can't do anything on my own, and I'm not supposed to be able to.

That's when I turn back to prayer. I've just been through this experience yet again, and I'm sure I'll go through it many more times before I really learn to keep prayer in my daily life. Last night, things got to the point that I found myself weeping, feeling completely powerless to stand up to the challenges facing me. In my weakness, I finally remembered to pray. I asked God for the strength to deal with my troubles, and immediately-- in that very moment-- I felt the weight lifted from my shoulders. God was truly watching over me, and as soon as I asked for help, He gave me not only strength, but the peace of mind I so desperately needed. It was a powerful reminder of my true source of strength.

Now, I pray, I'll be able to remember better.

No comments: